As I spent time in the darkness waiting for ZESA to restore power to my neighborhood; something that I have been doing for the past two weeks, I found myself with too much time on my hands.I started making a list of things that I would sell my first born to get in this country. A list that I have here repeated verbatim.
- I wish we had an LTE service. Currently LTE is just an adjective that we use on Android phones’ iPhones and tablets. I mean Angola has one; war-torn Angola.
- A local Ebay and Amazon store that takes days to deliver and accepts EcoCash. Something like www.amazon.co.zw and www.ebay.co.zw
- I wish Google Checkout would let me sign up for a merchant account.
- Affordable VPS hosting that did not require zillions of forms and a letter from the Ministry of Information to be set up.
- An automated .zw domain set up form like the one they have for the .coms. We really need to do away with all the paper work.
- A web API for the now popular Ecocash payment system. It would be nice if I could use this with PayPal too.
- Rural broad band or Wimax coverage.
- Broadband measured in anything other than Kbps.
- That TelOne would provide all of us with a VDSL.
- A local Google cache server.
- Competent technicians that would solve my perennial routing problems and allow me to visit www.omgubuntu.co.uk without using a proxy.
- A local Sourceforge mirror.
- That the government would share in our plight and instead of giving telecoms excuses to increase their tariffs by increasing license fees it would instead decrease them.
- A ZESA app that would tell me about all scheduled and current blackouts. A Google maps with all the affected areas would be greatly appreciated.
- An affordable mobile broadband plan from Econet and Africom.
- ZESA commissioning a Nuclear Power station that would take care of all my power woes without being subjected to blackouts.
- An Apple products store that will not rip me off by adding a ridiculous mark-up.
- A local based iTunes store that will not require me to wait years during downloads.
- A local Blu-ray disc shop that has all the BoxOffice titles.
Now you will all agree these are reasonable wishes. Anything to add? I wonder why they are not coming true.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.