WhatsApp is barely 4 years old yet it has taken the world and Zimbabwe by storm. There is barely a person left who does not either use or know about the app. In this country where the unrepentant network operators keep charging a fortune for basic sms and some are still to introduce MMS, WhatsApp offers a full featured and hassle free way to communicate with your friends and family on a dime. There is a catch however you need a smartphone and there is currently no PC version.
However if you have a Windows PC with an internet connection it is possible to install Whatsapp on it and chat with your friends using your mobile number. You just have to bear in mind that WhatsApp only allows one account per mobile number so if you sign in on your PC you will be signed out on your mobile.
Steps to install
1. Download the Bluestacks Android emulator for Windows here. This installer is just above 100mb in size so if you use a capped connection take note of this. This is an offline installer so you can use it multiple times.
2. Install Bluestacks onto your machine. This is just like any other program.
3. After installation launch Bluestacks by clicking on the desktop icon.This boots up the emulator and might take a while depending on your machine.
4. In the emulator click on app search and type WhatsApp and then enter.
5. Several stores are installed by default in Bluestacks so the search may take a while for the first time.
6. Click install.
7. Once WhatsApp has been installed it will appear in the home screen to launch it just click on it and follow the usual steps that you use on your smartphone when installing the app.
8. Enter your phone number when prompted and wait for the verification stage to fail. During the verification stage you will receive an sms from WhatsApp on your mobile with a 6 digit code in the form XXX-XXX enter this code when prompted.
9. Enter your desired screen name.
10. Once setup has completed you will need to manually add contacts from your mobile phone into the emulator.
NB Whatsapp uses an internet connection so make sure you are connected to the internet before attempting to connect.
Once you have completed step 10 you have a functional WhatsApp setup. In Perl they say there are many ways to do things so if there is a another way to have WhatsApp on your PC feel free to share it in the comments section.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.