In the world of telecommunications it’s awards season again and for our continent, a lot of attention is always centred on the AfricaCom Awards.
The 2015 nominees list for AfricaCom Awards was recently released, and out of the thirteen categories spanning across various telecoms sub-domains, Liquid Telecom, the telecoms infrastructure company with strong Zimbabwean ties through its Econet DNA has been nominated for 5 awards.
As a primary concern and through its subsidiaries, Liquid Telecom is in the running for the following;
- Best Network Improvement – For the Liquid Telecom Kenya – Nairobi metropolitan network
- Best Connectivity Solution for Africa – Liquid Telecom – 100 Mbps FTTH “Fibroniks” Service
- VSAT Innovation for Africa – Liquid Telecom – Double VSAT Service
- Best Pan African Initiative – Liquid Telecom – 100Mbps FTTH “Fibroniks” Service
- Changing Lives Award – Office of the President (Kenya) and Liquid Telecom – free WiFi in Nakuru County
This isn’t the first time that Liquid has been recognised at AfricaCom, and should it win any or all of the awards its up for, they won’t be the company’s first honours either. In 2013 it was recognised as the Best Cost Efficiency Solution for Africa and in 2014 it walked away with the awards for best Pan African Initiative for its East Africa Fibre Ring and the VSAT for Innovation Africa.
In previous years, other companies affiliated with the Econet group like Solarway, with its Solar Powered Mobile Phone Charging Station and EcoCash as a mobile money platform have also been honoured at AfricaCom.
These sort of accolades have proved to be great endorsements for telecoms operators and as an entity eyeing a listing on a European stock exchange next year, Liquid Telecom will no doubt appreciate the positive affirmations from industry watchers.
You can view the full list of AfricaCom Awards nominees by following this link.