Global Entrepreneurship Week breezed by recently, marking yet another participation by Zimbabwe in the worldwide discussion and action on entrepreneurship and problem solving through business related approaches.
One of the highlights, locally, was the Muzinda Hub Business Plan Competition which was the technology hub and training centre’s continental tech startup challenge.
The finals of the event, which were streamed and held live via Google Handouts with 10 startups vying for recognition resulted in 5 startups being selected as winners. The following five solutions (they are arranged in order of merit) were chosen by the panel of judges
- ChildMinder – childminding app connecting child minders and doctors
- itooknow.me – learning management system
- Workerbee – micro jobs platform connecting employers and job seekers
- Bizex – platform connecting startups and venture capitalists
- iloc8 – geo tagging application that pinpoints the location of a desired product and proximity to the person seeking the product.
The 10 competing solutions were developed by aspiring entrepreneurs in South Africa, Cameroon, Nigeria and Zimbabwe, with Bizex, Childminder and iloc8 being the Zimbabwean solutions that managed to make the top 5.
As had been pledged by Muzinda Hub as part of the honours that came with the competition, the 5 winning teams will get assistance in developing their solutions from the Hub. This will be in the form of mentorship and entrepreneurial skills development.