In an unfortunate incident, two Telco (The internet access provider) workers in Victoria Falls were electrocuted whilst on duty. The two, Victor Zulu and Rector Msipha were on duty and had been deployed to install a Wi-Fi modem and it was during this installation that the accident occurred.
In an attempt to install a Wi-Fi modem, it is believed Rector Msipha and Victor Zulu climbed up a mango tree to push a 4-metre aluminium pole in order to mount the Wi-Fi device. Unfortunately this same tree is under overhead electrical cables. The pole made contact with these cables and
A quick thinking local rushed to the nearest transformer and tripped power. Unfortunately Mr Msipha had already suffered severe burns to his arm and face. The shirt he was wearing had also been burnt to a crisp. Both Msipha and Zulu (now unconscious) were rushed to Vic Falls District Hospital but unfortunately Msipha was confirmed dead upon arrival at the Hospital.
Zulu – still unconscious- was rushed to Mpilo Central Hospital and later transferred to Mater Dei Hospital where he is still admitted. Mr Zulu barely escaped as he was thrown of by shock when the electric cable contacted.
Were the guys trained?
One would assume that if these guys were trained adequately they would have steered clear of an electric cable, for reasons known to all of us. Now I’m not saying the guys are not trained but we would not need to assume anything if Telco had responded to our communication.
Hang on, why the silence?
The fact that two workers died whilst on duty should be a huge deal but thus far there has been very little coverage on the issue. This incident resulted in the loss of life and I feel it is being taken way too lightly
Recently we’ve seen doctors striking which also led to loss of lives but in typical fashion, this was not treated with the urgency it deserved.
In countries like the US both of these issues would have made headlines and prompted civil activists to act and try to get to the bottom of the issues
We reached out to Telco…
We sent an email to Telco via their support page asking questions to get a better grasp of the situations. We enquired on what exactly happened, the affected workers training level, if there was negligence on Telcos part, and lastly a comment from them on the situation.
We gave them a time-line to respond as we would have liked to publish the story with a full bearing on what transpired but alas we got no response from them.
Same story with POTRAZ
To POTRAZ we posed the questions;
- Is it clear there was no negligence on the employers part?
- What is your comment on the situation?
Lo and behold no response either.
The Media should get serious when it comes to these issues
I think it is high time we start taking issues relating to loss of lives much more seriously and give full coverage on such issues as accountability is vital. If Telco are in the wrong they should be put to the book for it, and likewise if the workers were careless let it be known.
We should not be assuming and reaching conclusions like we are being forced to. Not in the ‘information age.’
Mater Dei Hospital is a hospital in Bulawayo and owned by a Board of Trustees of the Roman Catholic Church. The hospital offers paediatricians, surgery, casualty, Intensive Care Unit and x-ray. Read More About Mater Dei Hospital
Mpilo Central Hospital is the largest hospital in Bulawayo and the second largest hospital in Zimbabwe. The Name Mpilo means Life in the Ndebele language. Mpilo is a public hospital. Read More About Mpilo Central Hospital
The Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe POTRAZ) is the regulatory authority of Zimbabwe's telecommunications sector and was established in terms of the country's Postal and Telecommunications Act Chapter 12:05. POTRAZ was established in February 2001 Read More About POTRAZ