The Shoko Festival of 2018 will be hosted from the 28th to the 30th of September and this year there will be an announcement of what Shoko is terming Hub Awards. The award winners in 4 of the categories will be competing for “$4000 worth of prizes and cutting edge opportunities.” The award will be given to ideas that use new media and civic tech to solve problems in their communities or at national scale.
In case you are wondering, civic tech is any use of technology to empower citizens or make government more accessible and effective.
In order to qualify for the Hub Awards, your solution must fall under any of the following categories:
- WOMEN RISING AWARD – An award given to a startup/organisation advocating for women’s rights & voice using new media & technology.
- SPEAK TRUTH TO POWER AWARD – An award for a new media solution & platform encouraging accountability & dialogue (with local authorities, city council, local government & government)
- YOUR VOICE AWARD – An award for the best upcoming individual blog, video blog or citizen journalism platform.
- FIX UP, LOOK SHARP AWARD – An award for the best new media/ tech solution to address poor service delivery in communities.
In order to actually be eligible for the awards there are some conditions you have to meet:
- Participants can either be individuals or teams
- Participants are allowed to submit one idea only
- Participants must be residents of Zimbabwe
- Participants must between the ages of 16 & 35 years old
- Participants must be willing to participant in The Hub Awards Pitch competition at Shoko 2018
- Must complete the application
- The judges decision is final
Now that what is needed from you is clear, Shoko Fest needs you to register and you can do so here.