Old Mutual yesterday launched a 0.64MW Solar plant for its Business Park in Harare. The official opening of the plant was attended by Old Mutual’s higherups and Minister for Energy Soda Zhemu.
The facility is quite impressive and produces more electricity than Old Mutual will ever need. The excess will be shifted to the national grid through ZESA’s Net Metering program.
Here are some pictures from the commissioning of Old Mutual’s Solar Installation:
Samuel Matsekete Group CEO Old Mutual Zimbabwe
Minister for Energy Hon. Soda Zhemu, giving his address
Hon. Soda Zhemu Minister of Energy and Power Development Commissions the Mutual Gardens Solar Plant
You should also check out
- Comic Pastor makes Old Mutual US$25K Challenge Top 25
- Old Mutual has brought investment and insurance to USSD & WhatsApp
- Local startup creates immersive virtual tour of Old Mutual’s hub
- Zim’s Nhimbe Fresh completes US$1.4 mil solar crowd sale
- On-site at Africa’s biggest solar crowdsale project in Marondera
- 46% of Zimbabwean electricity users have solar as main source
- Econet’s solar company DPA has secured a deal with Total to power its service stations
- Local solar startup receives cash grant from GSMA Innovation Fund
- Govt to give solar investors 5-year tax break
8 thoughts on “[Pics] Old Mutual’s US$2.5 million, 0.64MW solar plant”
And yet they are still suspended from the stock exchange??
USD 2.5million for a 0.64MW??? We could have put up a 2MW plant for the same ammount.
Agreed. See “Nhimbe’s News” Item below. Wonder who has the correct costings.
Maybe they prioritised the quality of componentry over raw capacity? One can hope😄
Somebody pocketed the difference as usual
The OM costs do not match with past similar investments, See ……. “In November last year, Sun Exchange (a solar crowdfunding startup) started its African expansion in Zimbabwe by commissioning a 1.9 MW, US$1.4 million solar crowd sale for produce exporter Nhimbe Fresh. The crowd sale was set to be the biggest held by Sun Exchange in Africa and as of Wednesday last week the project has reached its goal.”
At least, its producing 0.64 MW more than the one Chivhayo built, at half the cost… 😜
I feel, anything tagged by the Old Mutual brand stands to go viral. Not until Eastgate, did the nation witness massive structural business construction. In the years that the country was set to lift the Davis Cup, Old Mutual was sponsoring the Tennis Calender. When I handed over a dratf approach to the famous Egypt -World Cup encounter, it was at the Old Mutual complex in Speke Avenue, where the Warriors were fundraising. I had my daughter on my shoulders then, and Women’s Football started to go viral globally. These are the fews things cherished by me, there are more unsung stories endearing to the nation. I can only watch in pleasure, this partnership with ZESA.