This is a Guest Post and does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of Techzim. We have a strong filtering process of what makes it to our blog and are confident that you’ll enjoy the article below.
Global early-stage startups competition has announced the 12 startups that will pitch at its inaugural event in Harare, Zimbabwe on Sunday, October 31st at the Dicovereum , with the winner destined to represent Zimbabwe at the global event in Switzerland.
Seedstars Harare – 31st of October, 2016
Harare, Zimbabwe, October 31st, 2016 – Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, is coming to Zimbabwe for the first time on the 31st of October to scout for the best entrepreneurs in technology. The event is co-organized with local ambassador Impact Hub Harare, who will represent the initiative throughout the year.
In line with its mission to place the spotlight on entrepreneurs from emerging markets, Seedstars World is travelling to more than 65 countries this year to identify the best seed-stage entrepreneurs and provide them with an opportunity to win up to USD 1 million, with the main prize being a 500.000 USD equity investment prize.
“Seedstars World is an amazing opportunity for the best entrepreneurs of emerging countries to be identified. The selected start-ups “those that will shape our future” will benefit from access to a great network and community, media exposure and overall the opportunity to connect with leading investors.” explains Selam Kebede, Associate for Seedstars World.
The event will take place at the Dicovereum , with the startups to pitch to a panel of local and international judges, such as Omydiar Network. The top startup will be crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars World Zimbabwe 2016 and will represent Harare at the regional and global summit.
In order to provide local entrepreneurs with this opportunity and aiming to deliver the best possible event, Seedstars World is closely working with Impact Hub Harare, who is representing the initiative throughout the year. “Impact Hub Harare is excited about hosting Seed StarsWorld in Zimbabwe for the first time. This is really a great opportunity to have our local “hustle” on a global stage and for the “hustlers” themselves to learn from other innovators worldwide. It is a beautiful exchange or culture and innovation. This event is truly one of a kind providing the winner with chance to win a trip to Zurich, Switzerland, and mix with like-minded peers from emerging nations who are ready to make a positive impact on our globe.” Explains Tadzoka Pswarayi, Co-founder at Impact Hub Network, Harare.
In addition, the event is carried out with the support of regional partners Intel and Microsoft and local and international supporters Omydiar Network, VC4Afrika, Lionesses of Africa, Act Entrepreneurship Program, Batanai2Create, dandemutande and veneu partner Discovereum.
The 12 startups that are selected to participate at the Seedstars World pitching event are:
- Zivai: provides web-based and hands on STEM skills in electronics,design and programming to early learners in developing nations.
- Potea: An automated crowd-sourced lost and found network.
- Dr CADx: a computer aided diagnostic system to help doctors diagnose medical images more accurately and save lives.
- Round Technologies: a B2B e-commerce platform that allows tuck-shops to order stock directly from manufacturers, by-passing wholesalers
- MoneySmart: An application that provides Interactive content- budget planner, goal planner, calculators, Web-based content- savings, investment and financial management knowledge.
- PENYA Finance: Inclusive financial services for marginalized youth using an agent-based network approach.
- BizeX: Aiming to making the business startup process easier, efficient and convenient ,bringing together all players into a single online platform
- Road Rules Solutions: A highly interactive and intelligent mobile application revolutionising the way people acquire driver’s licenses in Africa
- Ignite Africa: This company aims to unlock potential for all, using technology as a catalyst through 3D bio-technology.
- iFarm: an access platform connecting Farmers to the entire value chain through apps, drones, sensors, RFID and mobile soil analysis.
- Hurudza Africa: Aims to give smallholders farmers access to affordable tech that increases their yields and revenue.
- Hurukuro: Who is building a mobile cloud first platform for smallholder African farmers to transact, produce and deliver agriproduce smartly.
All participating startups will qualify for two major prizes that Seedstars World is running this year: Together with TRECC startups in education qualify for the global “Transforming Education Prize” which will award the best startup in the education space from around the world with a prize of over USD 50,000. In addition, Seedstars World and Intel are collaborating on the “Intel Solutions Challenge” to find the best startups in Hardware, IoT, Cloud and Analytics with the goal of inviting them to a prestigious Demo Day with internal and external partners who will give access to market and funding for the best startups.
The event will be held at the Dicovereum on the 31st of October. Attendees can register for free here
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.