Just to set the record clear, there are some devices that will no longer be supported by WhatsApp at the beginning of 2017 (1 January) and some that have had their support extended until 30 June 2017.
The devices no longer supported from 2017 onwards are:
- Android 2.1
- Android 2.2
- Windows Phone 7
- iPhone 3GS/ iOS 6
The devices that will be supported untile 30 June 2017 are:
- Blackberry OS and Blackberry 10
- Nokia S40
- Nokia Symbian S60
How to check if your device is affected?
To see whether your device is part of the 1 January 2017 or 30 June 2017 list do this:
- Go to your menu
- Select “System Settings.”
- Scroll down towards the bottom of the menu.
- Select the “About phone” option.
- Check the number under “Android version” The three numbers listed there indicate your phone’s version.
- If the three number start with 2.1 or 2.2 your device will stop running WhatsApp from 1 January 2017.
- Go to the home screen of your iOS device and click on Settings.
- Click on General.
- Click on About.
- Scroll down to version
- Check the version number, the numbers listed indicate your iPhone version
- If the numbers start with 6 or below, your device will stop working on 1 January 2017.
If you have a Nokia running Windows Operating system:
- Swipe down (from top of screen) to open notification panel
- Select All settings on the top right corner
- Scroll down to About
- Check the Software version
- If the Software Version say Windows 7 then it will no longer be supported from 1 January 2017
Here is a full list of Symbian devices that will no longer be supported from 30 June 2017, check for yours in the list below:
Nokia Asha 201, Nokia Asha 205 Chat Edition, Nokia Asha 206, Nokia Asha 208, Nokia Asha 210, Nokia Asha 300, Nokia Asha 301, Nokia Asha 302, Nokia Asha 303, Nokia Asha 305, Nokia Asha 306, Nokia Asha 308, Nokia Asha 309, Nokia Asha 310, Nokia Asha 311, Nokia Asha 515, Nokia Asha 500, Nokia Asha 501, Nokia Asha 502, Nokia Asha 503, Nokia Asha 230, Nokia C3-00, Nokia C3-01, Nokia X2-01, Nokia X3-02, Nokia X2-00, Nokia X7, Nokia E6, Nokia N8, Nokia C6, Nokia C7, Nokia E7, Nokia 500, Nokia 600, Nokia 603, Nokia 700, Nokia 701, Nokia 808, Nokia 5800, Nokia 5530, Nokia 5230, Nokia 5233, Nokia 5235, Nokia N97, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia X6, Nokia X5-01, Nokia C6, Nokia C5-03, Samsung i8910 Omnia HD, Sony Ericsson Satio, Sony Ericsson Vivaz, Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro, Nokia 5700, Nokia 6110, Nokia 6120, Nokia 6121, Nokia 6124, Nokia 6700, Nokia 6290, Nokia E51, Nokia E63, Nokia E66, Nokia E71, Nokia E90 Communicator, Nokia N76, Nokia N81, Nokia N81 8GB, Nokia N82, Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia 5320, Nokia 5630, Nokia 5730, Nokia 6210, Nokia 6220, Nokia 6650 fold, Nokia 6710 Navigator, Nokia 6720, Nokia 6730, Nokia 6760 Slide, Nokia 6790 Surge, Nokia C5, Nokia E52, Nokia E55, Nokia E72, Nokia E73, Nokia E75, Nokia E5, Nokia N78, Nokia N79, Nokia N85, Nokia Lumia 520 ,Nokia N86 8MP, Nokia N96, Samsung GT-i8510, Samsung GT-I7110, Samsung SGH-L870, Samsung SGH-G810 and Samsung SGH-iNNN.BlackBerry 8520, Huawei Y220
All devices running Blackberry OS and Blackberry 10. will not be supported from 30 June 2017.
To check your Blackberry OS version:
- Go to System Settings
- Select About
- Scroll down to Category
- Select General
- View Software Release
If you are running any blackerry OS release from 10 and below your device will no longer be supported from 30 June 2017.