WhatsApp’s new Status feature which was announced earlier this week has finally started showing up on a lot of people’s phones.
The feature, which has been automatically rolled out to all users has changed the way WhatsApp looks.
If you missed the news and are wondering what the fuss is all about the new WhatsApp Status feature essentially allows users to share photos, videos emojis and GIFs on their WhatsApp status instead of just the ordinary text. It works just like the Snapchat Stories and Instagram Stories feature.
It works just like the Snapchat Stories and Instagram Stories feature, with content (that is, the Statuses) disappearing after 24 hours
The new changes on the WhatsApp layout are designed to make it easier to not only create and upload these new statuses but to check out your contacts’ statuses.
How to post a new WhatsApp Status
- Go to the Status tab
- Tap on that broken circle tagged as My status (that’s the one with the + symbol). This will open the camera.
- To take a photo as a new status just tap; to record a video you hold/long press (videos can only be a maximum of 45 seconds)
- You can also select a video, pic or GIF in your gallery. The items to select from appear in the ribbon on the screen
- You can add a caption, text, emojis and tinker with the item you’ve selected for your Status
- You then select send (that blue icon) and all of your contacts will then be able to view your Status by tapping Status
- You can adjust the privacy settings for the Status you post. For Android users tap on the options tap on the three dots on the top right corner of the screen next to the search icon left of the screen, select Status Privacy and pick whether it’s going to be viewed by all your contacts, a select few or all of them except the people you don’t want to see your stuff.
Important things to remember
- For iOS users, the far left tab has now changed from “Favourites” to “Status”. The centre icon is now “Camera” instead of “Contacts”
- All new statuses are appearing on people’s phones as recent updates, something that’s clearly designed to keep people stuff which helps the content stay fresh.
- If you see a blue circle around contacts images that are set below your Status it means they have new Statuses that you can check out as well.
- To delete your Status, tap the Status tab followed by My Status at the top of the screen. This will display your Status with an eye icon at the bottom of the screen showing the number of people who viewed it. When you tap on it there’s the option to bin the status or forward it to contacts.
- If you are all about getting lots of views on your Status, the best thing is to change your Status or essentially post new content as much as possible. Videos and GIFs are also a lot more engaging than simple pics!