We can all agree that paying for DSTV is quite a hustle these days. The only bank that I know that was accepting bollars/zollars was Nedbank, but even they have since stopped. I guess after the Honourable Minister of Finance ordered banks to separate steak from the offals no one is buying the whole one as to one nonsense.
What this means is that if you want to pay your DSTV subscription you either have to rely on relatives and friends in the diaspora who can easily still do payments or you can do it yourself the hard way. This involves you having to bow before “agents” who often ask for eye watering amounts in bond/Ecocash/RTGS in order for them to pay up your account.
The more traditional route is you hunt for the actual USD or foreign currency equivalent, go to a bank or agent and make the payment. Most banks will take a commission of $4 or more dollars every time you do this. Which hardly seems fair if all you want to do is pay for cheap packages like DSTV lite. In which case $4 is actually a whooping 58% in commission!
Here is how you can pay much more cheaply
The bad news is that you still have to find the actual USD and how you do that is your business. Once you have the money instead of heading to some blood sucking agent you can actually deposit the money into either the FBC Prepaid MasterCard Account/Steward Visa/BancABC Visa. I use the FBC Prepaid MasterCard so all references from here will be made to it although I have every confidence all the other cards will work.
- When the money has bee deposited into your account head on to the Eazy DSTV page
- Login/Create an account. If you already have a DSTV Connect account use this
- Click/Tap on the make payment button
- Tap/Click on view balance and pay button
- Scroll down and enter the amount you want to pay and tap/click on pay
- Select PayU Visa/MasterCard as the payment option. It is the only option available to Zimbabweans
- Tap/Click on next and you will be redirected to the PayU website
- Enter your card details and click on the pay button
- PayU uses 3-D technology so you will be asked to enter a One Time Password (OTP) that will be send to your phone by your card provider e.g. FBC. Enter your OTP after you receive it.
- You will be redirected back to the Eazy DSTV website with a payment successful message
- Save your payment information including receipt number in case of queries
Normally at this stage if your decoder is on and your subscription had expired you will be immediately reconnected. If the E16 error does not clear automatically ensure you are watching a channel in your bouquet. Then go to the Eazy DSTV site and choose clear errors, select E16 and click/tap on clear.
You can also use the website to choose your own bouquet and complete the payment. You will immediately be upgraded once you complete payment. The cost for doing the payment is less than a dollar using the FBC MasterCard. I am not sure of the exact cost on the other cards I mentioned above but I can assure you they are not as exorbitant compared to what the “agents” are demanding plus you can make the payment in the comfort of your own home.