Mobile money and digital payments have been a huge deal for the local economy, that’s fairly obvious. Now there’s an initiative to recognise the people making this happen.
The Mobile Money and Digital Payments Conference and Awards is a ceremony that seeks to recognise outstanding performance and innovation in the various segments of the Zimbabwean mobile money and digital payments ecosystem will be held on the 27th of July in Harare. It is being run by a local Microfinance firm, Oxlink Capital.
The ceremony will feature a host of prominent persons in Banking and Mobile Money including guest speaker Supa Mandiwanzira (Minister of ICT), Dr Mangudya (the RBZ Governor), Mrs H Mutseyekwa (POTRAZ, Competitions and Tariffs Commission), members of the Bankers Association of Zimbabwe and senior members of the Telecoms fraternity.
The event is targeting higher level managers in Mobile Operators, financial retailers, technology providers, payments processors, billing companies, municipalities and merchants who will discuss topics relating to the adequacy of legislature in deposit protection in mobile money, the impact of mobile money, interoperability and its constraints and the future prospects in mobile money.
The awards feature the following categories with nominations for 2015
• Best Mobile Money & Digital payments- Telecoms Sector (Telecash, OneWallet, EcoCash)
• Best Mobile Money & Digital Payments- Banking Sector (Textacash, POSB, CBZ, Steward, FBC)
• Most Comprehensive & Innovative Package – Payments (Nettcash, EcoCash, Textacash, Steward)
• Best Mobile Money and Digital Payments – Merchants (Edgars, TM, Innscor, OK Zimbabwe, Spar)
• Best Mobile Money & Digital Payments – Billers (ZESA, City of Harare, TelOne, MultiChoice, Nyaradzo)
• Best E-Commerce Solution Provider Award (Payserv, Afrosoft, Zimswitch)
It brings a sense of reward for participants who have invested in payments to be honoured at such a platform. I feel a strong sense of elitism hovering over the event especially with the asking price of $250 dollars for attendance. This is, however, an inaugural event and is a learning process with possible changes in the future.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.