To improve availability and speed of the site, we migrated Techzim to new hosts a few weeks ago. Last time we did this was about 2 years ago when we moved the site from local Zim hosts. Moving hosts itself is not a big deal ofcourse but we know some people are interested to know why and what we moved to so it informs their hosting decisions too.
First, the reason. Techzim was and still is on shared hosting. Despite the bad rap shared hosting gets it still is an adequate and cost effective solution for hosting in most cases. The problem comes when because of traffic (legitimate or malicious) resources run out on the server. Or if the server is sold to too many customers. However, in all cases, when you’ve outgrown shared hosting, or a particular shared hosting package, you will know.
In our case, increasingly frequent “Resource Limit Reached” meant we needed to start looking again. We’re not certain why we got such errors that is whether it was overselling or we’d just outgrown the package we were on. Host wasn’t the best communicator.
Our second reason is skills. We just don’t have the skills (individual and time) in-house to be dealing with hosting management issues exhaustively. We like to be busy creating content and let trusted specialists take care of the technical things. It’s way more effective that way. We also needed personalized WordPress optimised hosting, and we believe we found just the right fit.
Now as for where; it’s a UK based (Well, more Zim based actually) company called Somerset Technical Solutions. It’s been about 4 weeks now, and the frustrating “Resource Limit Reached” issues are gone. I’m sure you also noticed the site’s load speed has significantly improved, which we’re very happy about.
Lastly, thank you for the patience.