The past 10 years wouldn't have been possible without you. Thank you!
The Zimbabwe National Geospatial and Space Agency (ZINGSA) is set to be officially launched in a matter of hours. The Ministry Of Higher & Tertiary Education, Science & Technology Development who will be heading the agency released details of how ZINGSA will be structured.
We’ve already taken a look at some of the things that the agency hopes to achieve and it seems there are clear and beneficial use cases of such an agency. Whether or not these targets will be met is something worth questioning if you know the government setting these targets. Their track record is less than stellar. Hopefully these reservations will be proven wrong in the long run.
The space agency will be made up of five of the following departments…
Space Operations and Launch Services Department
The Ministry has specified that this department will have the following responsibilities:
- preparation and implementation of Earth Observation missions;
- satellite command and control;
- managing communication between spacecraft, ground stations and control centres;
- linking various complex operating processes;
- incorporating new technologies to space operations as the technologies become available;
- strategic planning of space operations; specifically developing future plans for ZINGSA systems, facilities and personnel;
- launch services facilitating access to space for ZINGSA missions;
- ensure that critical infrastructure to access and use space meets expectations of ZINGSA.
Space Science Department
According to the Ministry the Space Science Department will act as ZINGSA’s reasearcher:
There shall be a Space Science Department responsible for championing research that will increase the understanding of planets that exist outside the Earth’s solar system through coordinating scientific research and educational programmes to improve science education, with the following key research areas:
- space physics;
- space weather, and planetary science.
Space Engineering Department
There shall be a Space Engineering Department which shall provide Engineering advice and assistance to
- ZINGSA programmes and projects,
- ZINGSA innovations for space; from concept to applications,
- educate scientists and engineers as well as inspire Space Research to better understand the Earth, our solar system and beyond.
Geospatial and Earth Observation Department
This department will conduct specialised research and development projects and activities on geospatial applications and earth observation. Focus will be placed on;
- geoinformation Science and Earth Observation
- geospatial analytics and remote sensing
- mining and mineral exploration
- disaster management
- weather and climate,
- geospatial intelligence
- agriculture intelligence
- water, energy, health and any other nationally strategic applications.
Finance and Administration department
If the past departments were flying past your head this will probably feel like familiar territory. The administration department is tasked with with ensuring the efficient delivery of the promises made ZINGSA. The targets of this department are said to be:
- developing business plans, timelines and budgets t perform financial projects;
- developing and maintaining standard financial and administrative procedures;
- monitoring and managing expenditures within allotted budget;
- ensuring the preparation and maintenance of all financial records;
- identification and resolution of financial and administrative issues.
What do you think about the governments decision to start dabbling in space technology? Is it necessary or we have bigger fish to fry?
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.